Twin Zygosity DNA Test
Testing: Two alleged twins
Timeframe: 5-7 working days from receipt of samples at our office.
Unsure whether your twin is identical (monozygotic), fraternal (dizygotic) or just a sibling? International Biosciences provides fast, accurate and reliable twin zygosity DNA testing to clear up this issue that could be a deciding factor in major medical decisions such as organ transplants – where success of an organ transplant and blood compatibility are heavily dependent on whether the twins are identical or fraternal. If you are new parents of twins you could also use the Twin Zygosity DNA Test test to satisfy your curiosity as to what kind of twins you have had. Our test is 99.99% accurate and results can be expected within 5-7 working days from the day we receive your samples.
Note: We can only guarantee standard result turnaround time when testing takes place solely using oral swab samples. Using a discreet sample for your test may lead to an increase in turnaround time.
Science Behind Twins DNA Test
As many as one in six births result in the delivery of twins, 30% of which end up being identical, with fraternal twins carrying the remaining 70%. Fraternal twins are the result of two different eggs being fertilized by two sperm while identical twins occur when two sperm cells fertilize the same egg. Because identical twins are formed from the same egg, the DNA profile of identical twins will be an exact carbon copy of each other.
In rare cases, non-identical twins may actually have different biological fathers. This happens when two eggs are released by the mother and each one is fertilised by a different sexual partner, resulting in two different fathers. In this rare circumstance a paternity test would most likely be required to determine the identity of one or both of the fathers.
This test can be carried out on people of any age – from new-borns to adults. The kit you will receive contains 4 sterile mouth swabs per participant, instructions, consent and submission forms and a pre-addressed return envelope. Samples are collected in a non-intrusive manner by simply using the mouth swabs to collect cells from the inside of the cheek.
What other sibling DNA tests do you offer?
Can I carry out the test with other samples?
International Biosciences also offers you the option of carrying out the Twin Zygosity DNA test using a range of other DNA sample sources including: hair; toothbrushes; body fluid stains such as blood or semen; or many, many more! Our laboratories are equipped with highly advanced DNA sequencing machines which can extract DNA from even the most challenging samples. To view our full list of accepted sample sources, click here